News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Sussex Extension Organ for Sale

Started by Victor Potter, October 14, 2011, 07:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Potter

The following advertisement has appeared today in the Chichester Diocesan Newsletter:-

FOR SALE
Two manual and pedal, Walker 'Positif' pipe organ built in 1968.  This extension pipe organ has 26 speaking stops. Offers in the region of £2500. Buyer will also need to meet the cost of removing the organ from its current position in the church. For further details please contact 01243 842522.

Philip Billson

Hello, Could you give me an idea of the dimensions of this Walker organ please? They are always charming instruments. Thanks. Philip (Manchester)

hector17

I visited this organ last Saturday and, with the best will in the world, this is one organ that you may want to steer clear of.  My own organ builder discovered that the pipework has been treated very badly (with inappropriate tools) to the point where a lot of pipework is beyond redemption.  The sound is dreadful and not up to the normal Walker Positif standards.  The organ's internal layout is such that a lot of the pipework is inaccessible for maintenance (or mis-treatment). It is only because some of the pipework is inaccessible that we could hear some of the original sound. My organ builder and I were absolutely staggered at the crass way the organ has been treated, and the terrible condition the various (unknown) tuners have left the organ in. I am sorry to be so negative, but in this case £2,500 will buy you an organ that needs a lot of work to bring it up to speed.  If you're interested, I suggest that you negotiate the price downwards as you will have to spend money on righting the dreadful wrongs done to this organ incompetent organ tuners.*

*I do not know who does/or indeed HAS maintained the organ, and no finger is being pointed at anyone.  My assumption is that the damage may well have been done in the past and subsequently ignored by others.....................................