News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Thomas Mander 2m+p - redundant useful organ

Started by wjoefox, October 29, 2011, 10:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

I realise how often many members of this forum check the IBO redundant organs list, however this organ is now a more urgent case, and is surely something a cut above some of the other instruments which are redundant - it was only built in the 1970s, and so is still in very good condition! I was looking at the organ as a complete solution for home practice, but my circumstances are not going to allow such an investment for a while yet. Hopefully someone will act to save it, before it becomes an SOS...

Redundant Organ in the former premises of Newham Academy of Music, Wakefield Street, East Ham, London E6 1NG

This two-manual (4½ octaves) and pedal (2½ octaves) light tracker instrument was made by Thomas Mander from two dismantled organs. The date of the new build is probably 1972, but the date of the older instruments is not known.

SPECIFICATION
Pedal El
16' Bourdon

Great: Tr
8' Open Diapason
8' Gedact
8' Flute
4' Principal
4' Stopped flute
4' Flute
2' Fifteenth
1 1/3' Larigot

Swell: Tr
8' Gedact
8' Salicional
8' Trompette
4' Gemshorn
Tremulant

Couplers: Tr
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
(Balanced swell pedal, radiating, concave pedalboard)

Approximate dimensions:
Width 2.8 metres; Depth 3 metres; Height 3.4 metres (the organ stands in a small hall currently)

Observations
The action is light, and so would be suited to practice, and there is a wide range of tonal colours provided in the full complement of stops. There is no formal casework, much of the instrument is uncased. The console looks to be very comfortable, and well laid out with drawstops. The tone is rounded and the response is consistent. Currently situated in a well regulated small hall.

Contact details:
As far as I know, the first point of contact is Sylvia Sayer of the Newham Academy of Music: sylvia.sayer@newham-music.org.uk; I have also communicated with their Chief Exec, who has been very helpful. Sylvia will be able to provide photos and more details (though if you would rather contact me just for some photos, please do PM). The Academy have moved out of the building, and it now belongs to the council, who clearly, wish to remove the organ as soon as possible, I understand - though I can't take responsibility for any information shared here.

AnOrganCornucopia

THOMAS Mander? I know about Noel, and his son John, but not a Thomas!