News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Huge 3m Walker associated with famous organist in danger

Started by AnOrganCornucopia, January 31, 2012, 02:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOrganCornucopia

Hi!

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=A00747

This famous instrument, over which Eric Thiman once presided, is no longer used, it seems. A pity! The only 1950s Walker I know is a dreadful old heap, but this one looks to be a lot better. I'd love to get my hands on it... I'd separate out the Choir, create a new Solo organ from some Choir stops, add some other things to the Choir (16ft Quintaton, 16ft Basson, a new Clarinet to replace that lost to the Solo) to complete the scheme in a sort of Saint Trinité Paris way, make the 32ft Fagotto extension available on the Swell and put in a new 32/16 Bombarde rank (voiced by Keith Bance) and add Liverpool-style party horns to the Solo, just to please PCND  ;D

But seriously, does anyone know of what could be done with such a big organ seemingly in need of a new home? Any ideas where it could go?

David Drinkell

Walkers could be a bit over-suave, especially when the reeds got bigger and on higher pressures, but when they were good they were very good indeed.  St. Columba's, Pont Street is another, but this one at the City Temple may have the edge on it.