News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Great little House(?) organ

Started by wjoefox, September 09, 2010, 01:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Redundant Pipe Organ                                                       M0176

Conacher c.1870?

Castleton Methodist Church
High St Whitby North Yorks YO21 2DB

NPOR G00995

One manual with pedals
6 speaking stops
Pneumatic key action
Mechanical stop action
Compass 30/54

The church has closed and the organ is immediately available.

The organ is free-standing and measures 5' 00" deep, 7' 6" wide and 14' 4" high.
The keyboard extends 12" from the organ frame and the pedal board a further 18".

Pedal
Bourdon      16

Great
Open Diapason   8
Gedact         8
Dulciana      8
Principal      4
Flute         4

Great to Pedal

The organ was first rebuilt by Laycock when the swell box was removed and the pedal stop and coupler were added.

The six stops give an excellent account of themselves and the 8' and 4' chorus can maintain 100 congregation with ease.

The organ needs only clean and overhaul.

- Notes by John Hart

Enquiries to the Church Contact, below, please.

Buyer makes all arrangements for dismantling, packing and transport.

Care is taken to see that information is accurate but the Methodist Church Organ Advisory Service is not responsible for errors.

Church Contact:
Rev. Alan Coates,
The Manse,
1 Bridge Green,
Danby. North Yorkshire YO21 2JQ
Email: alan.coates@hotmail.com   
Tel. 01287 660252

Organ Contact:
John Hart
26 Defoe Crescent,
Newton Aycliffe.
Co. Durham DL5 4JP
Email: johnhart1@btinternet.com 
Tel. 01325 312960

Graham Jones
32 Harington Road
FORMBY
L37 1NU
Tel. 01704 876 134
BB Talk. 01704 826 475
Email: g.mjones@btinternet.com
:'(

David Pinnegar

Hi!

This instrument looks great. What would be interesting on a rebuild would be to divide the keyboard and possibly shifting up the Flute an octave to 2ft can be very effective.

Best wishes

David P

NonPlayingAnorak

Pneumatic key action on an organ that small?  >:(

I'll be honest, with the usefulness of such an organ being so limited, I'd just take the pipework and windchests and enlarge an existing 2m instrument by the same builder to 3 manuals...

revtonynewnham

Hi

Pneumatic action even on small organs was very common in the late 19th Century through to c.1940 - and electric joined in later in that period.  Tracker was seen as old fashioned, heavy and difficult to play!!!  I guess in this case it would be a dis-incentive to anyone teking this organ on, except perhaps for parts.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on September 09, 2010, 09:18:15 PM
I'll be honest, with the usefulness of such an organ being so limited, I'd just take the pipework and windchests and enlarge an existing 2m instrument by the same builder to 3 manuals...

Hi!

Actually an instrument such as this can be remarkably effective and it all depends on the voicing. A local church has a two manual instrument without anything above 4ft and in support of a small village congregation it's remarkably bright.

Not really helpful for enlarging an existing 2 manuals to 3 as this pipework is foundation, which the other organ will have already, rather than providing the colouration that one seeks from other manuals.

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Hi

I agree totally with David the scale of the pipework would be totally wrong to form a 3rd manual, even if it was enclosed. It would be far better is i could be sold on intact as an house organ.
Yes change the Flute into a 2ft but I would not use the existing pipework.

Best wishes

Barrie

wjoefox

The organ now has a new home abroad!