News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organ maybe not in danger any more?

Started by Holditch, August 03, 2011, 07:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

I would like to share the details of my next organ project, which hopefully will happen.

I hope to relocate this organ to the church I play at in the same diocese
http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N10804

St Francis has recently closed its doors due to the rather common problem of a leaky roof, dwindling numbers and the high cost of building upkeep.

Here is a link with a few photos describing my visit to see the organ
http://www.thecavendishorgan.com/news.htm

As the article says, my visit was just a fact-finding mission, i.e. taking measurements, try the organ for sound and generally looking at its construction.

I hope to keep you up to date about the progress of my mission (I am naming this a mission as it may take some doing!)

Watch this space

Marc

Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

Janner

With the prospect of being involved in a similar project , hopefully in the not too distant future, I for one look forward to reading about progress, the difficulties you encounter, and how you overcome them.

Good luck and very best wishes for your project.

revtonynewnham

Hi

That looks very much like the Rushworth & Dreaper extension organ in Warrior Square Baptist Church, Hastings, that I used to play occasionally - see http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00165

Quite a reasonable organ of its type - although marred by a poor implementation of double-touch cancelling on the stop keys - far too light a 2nd touch spring, and cancelling enabled on such stupidities as Mixtures & Sw-Gt coupler!  If yours is the same, you might want to consider Compton type stop tabs.

Hope the project goes well - don't forget to let NPOR know once things are decided.

Every Blessing

Tony

twanguitar

Just out of interest, was the cancelling arrangement on the stop keys of this organ the system sometimes used by R&D in which each one had a small black auxiliary tab at the top of each key?

TG

Barrie Davis

Holy Spirit Harlescotte Shrewsbury was very similar and there were no black cancelling devices over the stopkeys. The whole range of organs in this series were well built and voiced.

I much prefered these to the Walker alternatives with repeating mixtures.

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

@Twangguitar  No - it's like the Compton system (I guess R&D used it after they'd taken Compton over - but the 2nd touch springs were far too weak.  I've never had problems on a Compton with unintentionally triggering the 2nd touch cancel - but on that R&D it was a perpetual headache!  To operate it you just depress the stop key beyond the normal "on" position, where another contact makes which cancels everything else drawn on that manual - very useful at times.

Every Blessing

Tony

NEorganist

Good look with this project! I have played a couple of extension organs and they prove very effective indeed I find! I hope to save and Nelson quite close to where I live as, like many others, the church is closing. Granted Nelson weren't the best quality, this is a Nelson rebuild (original builder unknown) and is quite a fine little instrument worth saving.
Any tips on how you've been getting on with your 'mission' would be gratefully received! :D