News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

PIPEWATCH: list of organs affected by electronic installations

Started by David Pinnegar, October 06, 2011, 12:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Looking through my post today I saw a list of electronic organ installations . . . which means that the organs in such churches fall into three or four categories:
1. an organ now serving in a place where no organ has served before, possibly paving the way for a pipe organ at a future date
2. instruments totally displaced and replaced by electronic instruments, the pipe organ being removed entirely
3. instruments in category 1. where pipework has been removed or damaged to put speakers behind the pipe facade
4. instruments mothballed as a result of an electronic serving temporarily serving, enabling the pipe instrument to be revived at a later date.

Recent churches include:
St Mary's Ferndown
St Milburgha, Stoke
Sacred Heart, Waterlooville,
St Andrews, Fulham Fields
St Peter's Tankersley
Chapel Stanton Lees
St Mary, Aldridge
All Saints, Jordanhill, Glasgow
Methodist church, Wolstanton
Alloway Parish Church
St Aidan's, Belfast
St Patrick's Coleraine
First Derry & Claremont, Derry
Llantrisant Parish Church
St Mirrin's, Paisley
St Mark's, Tandragee, Ballymore
Holy Trinity, Southport
St Augustine's Belvedere
All Saints Middlesborough
St Aloysius Roby
Masonic Hall, Wooton under Edge
Eastood Methodist, Rotherham
Patcham Methodist
Drumnadrochit church
Bethany Methodist, Cardiff
Iglesia ni Cristo, Sunbury
All Saints Blakeney
St Edmunds, Whalley Range
All Saints Denstone
St Stephen's Whelley
Wellington Presbyterian Church, Northern Ireland
Weymouth Bay Methodist
Fortwilliam & Macrory Presbyterian, Belfast
St John Baptist, Dunluce, Bushmills Northern Ireland
St Swithun, Leonard Stanley
Bjorkelangen Kirke, Norway
United CHurch Brightlingsea
Trinioty Methodist Royton
St Elizabeth's Much Hadham

How many of these instruments should we move to the section for pipe organ gravestones?

Best wishes

David P

David Drinkell

St. Aidan, Belfast - not a bad organ, but depressed area.  Probably not much money for organ work.
St. Patrick, Coleraine - big, rich church, but into praise bands.  Organist in my day managed to run a good choir as well, though - don't know if he's still there.  Organ a very shoddy rebuild (e.g. Choir organ soundboard perched crooked on the floor of the chamber. Swell/Choir coupler 'accidentally' omitted from console), but some good old pipework.  Respectable local builder reckoned it had potential, but maybe they're not that interested and a big electrone seemed attractive.
Fortwilliam Presbyterianm, Belfast - very big church (architecturally outstanding), Davies rebuild only partially functional when I played it about twelve years ago.  No way they could afford to have it done up.
Dunluce -  1m Cramer & Wood. I played for a wedding on this nearly 20 years ago.  It has since been moved to Armoy Church, a few miles away (replacing a harmonium) and they've got a toaster.

Barrie Davis

Holy Trinity Southport can certainly go to the grave yard, I am not sure if the pipework is still there but the sound units of the most of the new organ are in the main organ chamber as were the original "toasters". I would imagine the old console has been removed as it had been modified to play the "toaster" before the present one. This work is well described in the Newsletter circulated by the "toaster builders"!

Welcome to David and Pierre.

Best wishes

Barrie