News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Crisis for organ in Worthing in buiding about to be demolished

Started by David Pinnegar, July 27, 2011, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

The grapevine has alerted me to the fate of an organ in Worthing - does anyone know more?

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

The only significant organ in Worthing that may be under threat is the Wurlitzer in the Assembly Hall.  The council are trying to lease or sell their entertainment buildings to a private operator and have, from what I've heard, terminated the agreements re. the Wurli to ease this process.  Again from what I hear, this doesn't necessarily preclude the organ's retention (the organ is privately owned anyway).

Maybe someone with more direct knowledge of the situation could clarify - there seem to be several rumours floating around.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

This thread has been picked up by search engine stats as a hot topic . . . so does anyone have any news about this and the possible fate of an organ? If it's the Wurlitzer, a 23 rank instrument, it will be a serious loss. Bearing in mind that the Kilburn Gaumont State instrument with 4 manuals is only 16 ranks, the Worthing instrument is important.

Whether or not one likes Wurlitzers, as pipe organs they form part of our diminishing and endangered heritage.

Best wishes,

David P