News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Chamber Organ Pieces?

Started by wjoefox, December 06, 2010, 01:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Does any one have some suggestions for a fun (simple, but effective) piece for chamber organ?
Thanks!

revtonynewnham

Hi

"Chamber organ" can mean all sorts of different things, from a couple of stops on one manual, no pedals, to virtually a small-scale concert organ that happens to be in a home!

Also, what's the piece for?  There are plenty of small-scale organ works about - most of the Early English School to start with - although some require a compass descending to GG below the now common C, and if you don't have the distinctive stops (Cornet, Trumpet etc) some modification of registration will be required.  Also, unless the manual 8fts (at least) are split into treble & bass, the pieces requiring 2 (or more - one of the Stanley voluntaries cannot be played without 3 manuals) you may have to pick and choose what will work (Nothing new there).

Another source is the chorale preludes of the pre-Bach era - again, you'll need to check against the resources of the instrument.  I recorded some of the preludes in OUP's "Christmas Music for Manuals" a few years ago on the chamber organ here, and they sound very pleasant.

Some of the Harmonium pieces will also work, for example see Cesar Frank's "L'Organiste" - but you do need to beware of the places where he uses the keyboard split and, for example, 4ft in the lh & 16 in the rh!  Not many chamber organs can do that trick.

Give us more details, and maybe I or someone else can come up with some more definite suggestions.

Every Blessing

Tony

wjoefox

Thanks Tony. The instrument is a fairly modern thing with an 8' 4' and 2' flute. I am looking for something modern, and maybe Christmassy, as I am doing a Handel organ concerto on it too.

Thanks,
WF

revtonynewnham

Hi

Modern - that's a problem for me - I'm not really into much modern organ classical music - the most recent piece that I've got that would fit on the organ is the Cesar Franck - hopefully someone else will have some ideas!

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

Hmm... I've heard Langlais' La Nativité done very effectively on a 2m/13ss Henry Jones, but it had string stops (two, and gorgeous they were too), and pedals. You can't do Messiaen either, for want of pedals and a lot else. Really not sure.