News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organ builder agrees

Started by organforumadmin, August 08, 2011, 06:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

In chatting with a well known organ builder this morning I mentioned the exodus of two uneven tempered forum members over the weekend in response to a posting about the breadth of faith that accustomed home of organs can encompass including that of the unfortunately named Exodus Church.

We found agreement in a link between the decline of popularity of organs and organ music and the decline of perception of relevance of belief to popular daily life. . .

Why therefore should there be taboo of discussion of such a topic on an organ forum?

Best wishes

Forum Admin

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I am sure that forum member Contrabordun will not mind my mentioning that some time ago he was a public health doctor in Birmingham who noticed that there was a link between music teaching, the setting up of orchestras and a statistically valid fall in teenage pregnancies. Of course cuts came, the orchestras were disbanded and anti-social behaviour returned.

In rioting and looting that we are seeing in London and Birmingham by young people, teens and twenties, is a product of the lack of good influences within the paucity of our education. The areas affected by riots are, certainly to my personal knowledge in Peckham and Lewisham, areas where many young people have nothing better to do than drugs and burglary with which to pay for them.

Music tuition in schools, religious education, orchestras and organs all have a benefit to give to our communities. I wrote in the Atheist's Corner upon the benefit of the Lord's Prayer to mental health. I heard a few days ago that the ex boyfriend of a friend of a young person I have been working with had stopped using Cannabis and in the following days in a stats of Psychosis had jumped off the top of a building.

In other situations of Psychosis, when all that is available to the brain is in a jumbled mess of unprocessed thought with much of the subconscious at the surface, if the Lord's Prayer has been implanted well in the subconcious and is known also to those around the person affected, young people in such a situation can be calmed and are much less vulnerable to jump off buildings and substantial time and cost can be saved to the NHS. Recovery from Psychosis with the Lord's Prayer in the background with the help of NHS Crisis and Early Intervention Teams can be reduced from 6 months or years down to just 2 months.

I have been writing for a long time about the needs of the nightclub generation.

Those who object to my linking of The Lord's Prayer and the mental engagement of organ playing to the benefit of society and this forum are simply out of touch and need the stimulus of young people rioting as their plea for help. They need it.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I'm beginning to see others following not dissimilar trains of thought:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14462102

This:

and this
and this

and this

and this

are linked.

The organist and all around the organ world have a wider part to play in society. Belief, in terms of understanding why humans have a responsibility to be better than the animals, and how human relationships with each other and our surroundings are governed by a matrix of matter and circumstances have a part to play. Classical music is both a language and a function of that order.

Classical music tuition and enjoyment should not be a mere matter for ivory towers.

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

http://pauledwardsblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/the-godless-mind/

QuoteThe Godless Mind
Every so often you receive a message from the hand of God that makes political blogging a complete waste of time.

That time is upon us; I offer you this transcript from a humorous summation regarding the secular liberal mind – the godless mind, for short. It is from British journalist Steve Turner.

"We believe in Marx, Freud and Darwin. We believe that everything is okay as long as you don't hurt anyone, to the best of your definition of 'hurt' and to the best of your definition of 'knowledge.'
"We believe in sex before, during and after marriage. We believe in the therapy of sin. We believe that adultery is fun. We believe that taboos are taboo.
"We believe that everything is getting better, despite evidence to the contrary. The evidence must be investigated, and you can prove anything with evidence.
"We believe there's something in horoscopes, UFO's and bent spoons; Jesus was a good man just like Buddha, Mohammed and ourselves. He was a good moral teacher although we think his good morals were bad.

"We believe that all religions are basically the same. At least, the one that we read was. They all believe in love and goodness. They only differ on matters of creation, sin, heaven, hell, God, and salvation.

"We believe that after death comes 'The Nothing' because when you ask the dead what happens, they say nothing. If death is not the end, the dead have lied. Then it's compulsory heaven for all, excepting perhaps Hitler, Stalin and Genghis Khan.

"We believe in Masters and Johnson: what's selected is average. What's average is normal. What's normal is good.

"We believe in total disarmament. We believe there are direct links between warfare and bloodshed. Americans should beat their guns into tractors and the Russians would be sure to follow.

"We believe that man is essentially good. It's only his behaviour that lets him down. This is the fault of society. Society is the fault of conditions. Conditions are the fault of society.

"We believe that each man must find the truth that is right for him. Reality will adapt accordingly. The universe will readjust. History will alter. We believe that there is no absolute truth excepting the truth that there is no absolute truth.

"We believe in the rejection of creeds."

If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear 'state of emergency,' 'sniper kills 10,' 'troops on rampage,' 'youths go looting,' 'bombs blast school,' it is but the sound of man worshiping his maker.
Happy Trails!

© 2011 Ed's Voices LLC

The link to the blog from which this was quoted arrived courtesy of one of my "Facebook friends"...  and seeing other posts related to this tragic "event" thought it important enough to bring it to the attention of the forum, especially in light of what was presented in the BBC article.

QuoteIf chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear 'state of emergency,' 'sniper kills 10,' 'troops on rampage,' 'youths go looting,' 'bombs blast school,' it is but the sound of man worshiping his maker.
Happy Trails!

But what of the Organ?

That has... And should remain... "THE sound of man worshiping his maker" :o ;) ;D

"Man" was created by a "Creator" in the image of that creator.  Unlike plants and animals, "Man"
has the ability to create... It is what allowed our species to populate virtually every corner of the planet and move beyond the boundaries of its atmosphere and even visit the moon...

To build the instrument we call an Organ and to produce music with it...

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

And then I remembered I had bookmarked:http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/08/02/2314987/playing.html

QuoteThursday, Aug. 04, 2011
Playing the Pipes | Organs exercise mental and physical muscles

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/08/02/2314987/playing.html#ixzz1Uc3rogKo

QuoteConnor is one of the youngsters in the area to participate in the JOE program Nungesser began about nine years ago to help introduce piano students to the organ, an instrument that can be intimidating with all its multiple keyboards, buttons and pedals. On the other hand, learning to play the organ can be a fun summertime experience.

Connor began taking piano lessons when he was 5. As a student of Nungesser he was invited to participate in the JOE, although she opens the program to any piano student who has approximately four years' training. What Connor likes about the organ he said, are all the keys and buttons he gets to push and pull, but most of all, he says, "I like the big sound."

Unique to the pipe organ, an instrument whose origins can be traced to ancient Greece in the third century B.C., are the multiple levels of keyboards called manuals, stops on the console of the large instrument that look like door knobs, rows of buttons, and a pedalboard that is a keyboard played with the feet. Each unique piece of the organ can be manipulated to make an orchestra of sounds come from the huge pipes that overlook a church sanctuary.

Unlike a piano, providing a pipe organ for a child to practice on presents a challenge. So Nungesser found a way to give young musicians an opportunity to see if they like the organ through the five-week summer boot camp.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/08/02/2314987/playing.html#ixzz1Uc3XHzrB

Sooooo.... What does the Organ do in the church building the other 6 days  ??? ??? ???

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I was asked to go to assess the following organ which is to be redundant and exported to Malta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUFWWOgSbbU

The church has not been maintained for eight years - the congregation has fallen from 750 to around 30 or so. The building is to be knocked down and the church shrinks. Our churches are derelict, our minds are derelict of thoughts beyond the ephemera of materialism, grandparents neglect their duties towards their grandchildren who are derelict in riots and looting, without music, the eternal music, not the muzak of shops, in their minds and in the practice of their bodies.

Twanguitar accused me of leading this forum into disrepute and he and Barry Williams left this forum on account of issues of faith apparently being irrelevant to the survival of the organ. Others, I'm told, do not join this forum because of the existence of this thread.

I believe the events of this week with our neglected generation of children without education in deeper understandings demonstrate the link which exists between dereliction of our regard for music, religious education and the dereliction of society. No knowledge is no choice.

The rioting children have not even chosen atheism. They simply have no knowledge of it.

Elsewhere I have pointed out the almost religious responsibility that Darwinistic Atheists feel about the special circumstances that have led to the "accidental" result in mankind as an intelligent being. I have written elsewhere about the modern developments in the use of DNA as a computer to solve complex problems.

The replication of DNA and the survival of the fittest represents the solution to such a problem.of seeking the best possible life-form. By our consciousness we think that we are that solution and currently rioting children prove that the methodologies of the past generation are unfit to equip mankind to be the solution to the problem.

Of course the setting up of DNA computers requires a programmer. One wonders in Darwinistic Atheism just "who" or "what" that might be . . . ?

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Quote from: David Pinnegar on August 09, 2011, 10:41:28 AMI am sure that forum member Contrabordun will not mind my mentioning that some time ago he was a public health doctor in Birmingham who noticed that there was a link between music teaching, the setting up of orchestras and a statistically valid fall in teenage pregnancies. Of course cuts came, the orchestras were disbanded and anti-social behaviour returned.

Hi!

Apologies to Contrabordun - the member concerned is Contrabombarde - however I'm aware that he's currently in a part of the world where internet access is sparse so we're unlikely to hear from him soon on this topic, but it would be nice to!

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You of all people... Confuse a Bordun with a Bombarde??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Eric
KB7DQH

David Pinnegar

Hi!

The reason why this is relevant to Organs is that the organ, and singing in church choirs can have an enormous, and beneficial influence on our lives and society.

On the front page of The Times today, a girl who was in the riots and stole a television tells the story of wondering why she did it and going into the police station a day or so later with the television and expressing incredulity at her behaviour. Quite simply, she had not had the words of the Lord's Prayer to help her at the time of her crisis in the crowd when she decided to join in and go with the flow. I have written in Atheist's Corner about the power of the Lord's Prayer and its benefit to Mental Health. Were she to have had the concept of "tresspasses" in her mind in her subconscious, accompanied by the strength

Quote"Lead us not into temptation
Deliver us from Evil"
she would have had an inbuilt resistance to joining in with the evil crowd, would have been protected from evil, would not have exascerbated the damage, and would not now have a criminal record.

All because those around her had thrown God away. All because she had not been exposed to the benefit of church or even religious school assemblies nor being taught how to dissect the parables.

Meanwhile yesterday on Radio 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0132p7j
Terry Waite talked about "The House I grew up in" - I have said before it all comes from home - and that home is also inside our heads. He talked about the way in which the Versicles and Responses had been remembered subconsciously in his head and other passages which came to him and sustained him when he was alone.

QuoteThe Church of England played a big role in his life. As a boy he sang in the church choir and and even learnt large parts of the prayer book by heart and it was the rituals, language and music of his faith which he says nourished and sustained him while in captivity.

Of course it was the 1611 Authorised Version of the texts which he recalled - why? Because they weren't the language of the ordinary - they are poetry. They are so obviously a description requiring deep multi-dimensional thought rather than the language of the banal masquerading as fact.

Members of this forum who do not like what I am saying here don't have to read it - there is lots of everything else upon which to comment and discuss very directly related to organs . . .

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Here are the newspaper cuttings. One feels sorry for the poor girl. If only she'd discovered an organ and if only that had led her into church:

The knowledge in the back of one's mind of the actions of the crowd calling "Crucify, Crucify" on Good Friday are a reminder for those of us who have had contact with the bible story promoted by Christian teaching to refuse to go along with the crowd, not to follow it, and to stand up for Good.

By getting us there, the organ can make the difference.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Yesterday we hosted an organ concert given by a great young organist . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoqQ9sEeDPo who succeeded in shattering a window http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbmAeowgos and afterwards a young lad came up inspired and asked to get on the bench -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwvFvjwia4

(Oh dear - something was out of tune - but he didn't mind. After Corrette's Tonnerre and after other imitations of thunder and shattering glass, and Pacelbel writing in F minor performed in meantone, something out of tune was not exactly surprising . . . )

Best wishes

David P

Contrabombarde

David P very kindly mentioned my work earlier - I have been a bit tied up in central Africa recently but am back on Briterra firma now (though wondering what on earth I came back to!)

Just to clarify, I didn't actually look for or observe a relationship between running or stopping school orchestras and teenagers getting pregnant, though I did observe that the under-18s who got pregnant tended to conceive in the period after they had left school and already taken (though maybe not passed) their GCSEs. I rest my case that that if you inspire young people with music, art, crafts, sport and other generally useful things that give them a sense of achievement, they will be more likely to use a rather better form of contraception than they are currently using (none!), namely aspiration.