News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Westminster Abbey Organist in the news

Started by dragonser, September 12, 2011, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
this article was posted on one of the Organ music lists so I thought I would mention it here as no one else had.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036086/Westminster-Abbey-composer-sacked-criticising-Royal-Wedding-composer-Facebook.html

as was mentioned in the posting to the music list there are some inaccuracies in the daily mail article !

regards Peter B

David Pinnegar

Dear Peter

Thanks so much for posting this. My personal opinion is that the action taken by the apparently Christian organisation is incompatible with Christianity and was not an appropriate response to the young man's misdemeanor. It is not easy especially for young people to understand the rather sophisticated manner in which expressions of opinion can be made without risking defamation and such a failing should be a matter of education and guidance and not be a matter of job dismissal.

With jobs being threatened by expression of free speech, perhaps it's no wonder that people are reticent to discuss various areas that really need to be rather more opened out if organs are to survive.

Best wishes

David P