News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

JEREMY FILSELL 7th November 4pm

Started by David Pinnegar, October 10, 2010, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

CONCERT BY JEREMY FILSELL 2010
at Hammerwood Park
East Grinstead Sussex

Jeremy Filsell is Artist in Residence and Organist at the National Cathedral in Washington DC http://www.nationalcathedral.org . On a brief visit to England, he is performing a small clutch of concerts http://www.organrecitals.com/1/recitals.php?organist=jerfil (but Hove date is 6th, not as shown) on interesting organs and although complaining that he needs arms like an octopus to play the instrument, he likes playing at Hammerwood because the audience can see him and what he is doing.

David BRIGGS (b. 1962) Homage à Marcel Dupré: Prelude & Fugue in D major
J.S. BACH (1685-1750) from Clavierübung III:

• Allein Gott in der Hoh sei Ehr BWV 675
    Allein Gott in der Hoh sei Ehr BWV 676

Pamela DECKER (b. 1958) La Pantera (2009)
David BRIGGS Homage à Marcel Dupré: Prelude & Fugue in F minor
Alfred HOLLINS (1865-1942) Concert Overture in C minor (1899)
J.S. BACH from Clavierübung III:

• Christus unser Herr, zum Jordan kam BWV 684
    Christus unser Herr, zum Jordan kam BWV 685

Sergei RACHMANINOV (1873-1942) Vocalise Op. 34 no.1 (transcribed Nigel Potts)
David BRIGGS Homage à Marcel Dupré: Prelude & Fugue in E major

Jeremy writes: You'll love David B's Preludes & Fugues (think early Dupre but with tongue-in-cheek ...). Pamela's Panther piece is really crazy/wild and Rach and Hollins are always fun bon-bons. And then Bach is Bach (complete soul-food).

This concert is likely to be packed so please ring 01342 850594 in early course to reserve places

Specification of organ on
http://www.organrecitals.com/s/hammerwood.html

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Places are being booked for this concert, so it's a good idea to ring early to reserve a seat. Jeremy is worth moving the earth to come and hear and . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_eJ60PmtM is no ordinary instrument . . .

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

If this organist is flying over to England to do a concert . . . then it's worth audience coming a good distance to hear him. Please ring 01342 850594 if you'd like to come!

Why? Why fly over from America to do a concert? Why put together a beast which requires the utmost skill to play? (And the beast is bound to catch him out . . . a concert on this instrument is a bit of sport as good as any wrestling match - and Jeremy says he needs 8 arms to play it . . . ) Why? To put the organ repertoire on the map. To show the brilliance of what the organ repertoire can do. Why? For people to discover that they can enjoy the organ as an instrument . . . that it's not that dirge song machine in the corner. Why? To encourage enjoyment, appreciation and respect for organs so that they don't get destroyed by idiots and ignoramus's.

Best wishes

David P

NonPlayingAnorak

I will see if I can drag the Aging Ps along!  :D

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on November 02, 2010, 07:31:22 PM
I will see if I can drag the Aging Ps along!  :D

Right. Mum can't come, she's busy writing up for her PhD (due for submission in January!) but you may at least get myself and my father. May. Can't promise anything at this stage...

David Pinnegar

Well . . . I have just heard on the grapevine that one of the leading lights of UK organists who we have all heard of is coming to hear Jeremy . . . so that's how good you can expect it to be . . . !

Best wishes

David P

robsmall

are there still spaces for sunday afternoon? rob

David Pinnegar

Quote from: robsmall on November 06, 2010, 02:46:12 PM
are there still spaces for sunday afternoon? rob

Hi!

Thanks

Yes - probably about 15 left so if you'd like to come please ring 01342 850594 to reserve seats. We'd look forward to seeing you and in particular any children who might be inspired!

Best wishes

David P

Crosivda101

Sorry David, wish I could come but no time or money.  :(

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: Crosivda101 on November 07, 2010, 07:12:16 AM
Sorry David, wish I could come but no time or money.  :(

Any better off for December 18th?