News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Another organ on Ebay

Started by diapason, July 14, 2012, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It's so very frustrating that people drive organ rescue right up to the last minute. Preparations for the closure of this church must have been going on for ages. I bet the builders have been scheduled for months . . . why not the organ builders too as commissioned by a rescuer?

What hope in hell is there for any rescue of this instrument by 6th August? Any receiving church would need a faculty and arrangements for finance.

http://www.youtube.com/sixtiesfan11 gives videos.

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Hi

I agree with you David they always seem to leave the organ to the very last and then put it on ebay and ask a silly amount for it, do they not realise the costs in both removing and reinstating the organ in a new building.
A lot of firms will buy decent instruments for pipework BUT they are all limited on how much they can store for indefinite periods.
As it was a Methodist church they do not need a faculty.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

The lack of a faculty is an issue for non-Anglican churches - but even more so for denominations like my own (Baptist) where individual churches are congregationally governed - the church meeting making the final decision - and no formal advisory process whatsoever is in place.  I know of other organs that have been destroyed or otherwise disposed of - usually on the excuse that the space is needed (and frequently, having seen the instrument, I wonder just what use the space might be put to realistically!) - but really, I strongly suspect, because pipe organs are seen as "old fashioned".

Every Blessing

Tony

matt h

Hi

I've got to agree with that last post.  Time after time I've seen Methodist churches rip out organs (and do all sorts of ill advised re-modelling) purely on the decision of a few committee members, who usually have no knowledge of organs at all.  If we had a system which made an ultimate decision based on the opinion of someone who knew what they were talking about we might not see such whole scale destruction.

Regards Matt