News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Electronic church organ, 1969 Miller / Norwich C2, in Wimbledon. On eBay.

Started by wimbledon12, November 16, 2011, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wimbledon12

Hi all,

On behalf of our local church, I'm selling their organ on eBay.

It's an electronic organ, a Miller / Norwich C2, dating from 1969.

2 keyboards, 1 row of pedals, 16 stops.

Full info:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320790263173

Auction ends 18 November, 20:59.

No reserve, current bid is £1.04, so someone is liable to get a bargain!

Buyer collects.

It would be nice if it went to an enthusiast or at least someone who will play it - would be a shame to see it broken up for parts.

All the best,
Andy.

AnOrganCornucopia

Sadly old electronics tend to be largely worthless. However, if the console is of good enough quality, it could well be re-used - but I'd be surprised if anyone was terribly keen to keep the internals.

Meanwhile, anyone living in or visiting Wimbledon absolutely must go and hear the newly restored organ in the Sacred Heart RC church - a truly stupendous instrument.
http://www.londonorgan.co.uk/wimbledon.htm
http://www.sacredheartwimbledon.org.uk/concerts

revtonynewnham

Hi

Actually, there are a small group of people who appreciate vintage electronics (including myself).  Sadly, i don't have space (or time, or spare cash)  - and, it's a small interest group, not a large market, although these days there seems to be a growing market made up of those who want to re-use the console with a computer simulator (Hauptwerk perhaps being the most common - and most expensive!)

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: revtonynewnham on December 12, 2011, 10:37:02 AMActually, there are a small group of people who appreciate vintage electronics (including myself). 

Hi!

In view of the "end of useful life" of electronics after 30/40/50 years, very often resulting from a skills shortage in this generation to maintain analogue electronics, preservation of the technology is of no threat to pipe organs (if ever it was . . . ) it's actually becoming academically and historically important to preserve the technology.

Personally I have a great respect for someone who has devoted 20 years to the audacious task of devoting 40,000 transistors in the belief that it can mimic a pipe organ . . . whether or not I'm happy with the results. Very often the research behind analogue electronic organs is a useful experiment on how we perceive sound.

An electronic organ which is worth preserving is the one formerly in the Methodist Church on the island of Alderney, a three manual Johannus, and as such possibly helpful for teaching a new generation of organists. The top manual keys were seized for lack of use but tonally much of it was rather good despite being unfashionable analogue, and capable of conveying much organ music rather well.

It is for academic reasons why a small group of friends are to be rescuing the 4 manual analogue Makin from Lancaster Priory in the new year and it's hoped that we might find a school for which a 4 manual instrument would be an appreciated inspiration. It won't need tuning regularly and should be maintainable by a school with a physics 6th form or GCSE electronics facility. Any volunteers or contributions to the project would be appreciated.

Best wishes

David P

dragonser

Hi,
just to clarify things, the Organ actually sold for £ 122
regards Peter B