News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Heyligers

Started by diapason, June 23, 2011, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

Some time ago, I played a Heyligers analogue organ.  It was a really well built quality instrument with separate amplification channels and speakers for each stop.  The keyboards were wooden (Laukoff) and it had a superb adjustable bench.  The case was designed to resemble a pipe organ with genuine metal diapason pipes hiding the speaker array.  The organ was for sale at a very reasonable price, but there was no way I could have got it into my flat without some major demolition works.

Just wondering, has anyone else ever seen a Heyligers - apparently they also made some much smaller (physically) instruments?  I would still quite like to get hold of one.

Nigel

Barry Williams

Heyligers were, I think, germanium diode transistor instruments, built to a sensible size and very well voiced.

The smallest instruments had an economy-type console, similar to the HNB Chester Organ and a small neo-baroque stop list.  They were very popular with professional organists as home practice instruments.

The one you describe sounds like a model once offered for sale in a music shop in Stroud, or somewhere near there.  That particular job had only a single Bourdon 16' on the Pedal and was, therefore, rather limited for serious rehearsal.

Heyliger were, I think, Dutch.  I am sure that enquiries there would ascertain whether any were available on the second-hand market.  I have a vague recollection that the company ceased when the director died.

A Google search showed quite a few entries, including one where Johannus of South Africa were selling a Heyliger organ.  I am sure that Peter Flatau of Abinger Organs would know if it was possible to locate a Heyliger.

Barry Williams

dragonser

Hi,
I think I saw one on ebay a while ago ?
having multiple output channels and speakers would improve the sound quality compared to using just two channels.
But I don't know anything more about them.

regards Peter B

Barry Williams

I have heard several analogue and digital instruments enhanced beyond all measure by the simple expedients of:

1.  Increasing the number of channels.

2.  Where appropriate, installing active cross-overs.

3.  Using two speakers per output, but carefully placed, so as not to face exactly in the same direction.

4.  Putting the instrument in tune.  (i.e. removing the de-tuning.)

All of these measures achieve what the maker/supplier should have done at the outset.

Barry Williams

Barry Williams

Here is the hyperlink to the Heyligers Website:

http://heyligers-orgels.nl/#a1

Barry Williams

diapason

Many thanks.  the Heyligers I played was being sold by the former(?) Chairman of Viscount UK on Ebay.  It was stored at WM Organs in Somerset.  I think it was eventually sold to a school as a practice instrument.  Although it was analogue, the quality and quantity  of the amplifiers and speakers made a sound which knocked many of the digital organs in the showroom into touch. 

I agree with Barry about the potential improvements to an electronic which can be made by attention to the speakers and amps etc.  A local church has a Rodgers 525 which is ruined by having only two tiny speakers in the rafters and another local Copeman Hart (secondhand) instalation has the speakers banked up on the floor at the back of the church.  Both of these organs could be so much better if more attention was given to the installation and set up.

I will be keeping my eyes open for a small Heyligers - I still regret that I couldn't get the one I saw into my flat. In the meantime, my old Johannus sounds much better since it's service, especially since I have installed the Johannus surround amplifier.

Nigel